Highland Surgical Boot Camp is an innovative, simulation-rich course for new surgical trainees.
It has been developed by NHS Highland, the Royal College of Surgeons of Edingurgh and NHS Education for Scotland.
Boot Camp is designed to accelerate the acquisition of key technical and non-technical skills at the start of a career in Surgery.
Next Available Course: Evening of Fri 13th to afternoon of Tues 17th September, 2013
Course fee: £480 This includes course fee, outdoor activities, lunches, 2 evening meals. (Travel & accommodation not included.)
Location: Inverness (direct flights from Gatwick, Luton, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Belfast, Amsterdam)
- Simulation-rich methods, well-validated.
- Skilled and approachable faculty, experienced in giving feedback.
- State of the art Skills Centre, porcine tissue models, experienced actors.
- Simulated PBA's will appear on your ISCP portfolio.
- Intense programme.
- Highland-retreat feel, including outdoor activities day, maximum 12 to a group.
- Human factors feature throughout, drawing on RCSEd and Aberdeen University’s pioneering experience.
- Previous participants have each had a paper published with group authorship.
- Non-technical skills for surgeons
- "From basic to intermediate surgical skills": bowel anastomosis and tendon repair
- Communication skills for Surgeons
- Managing Polytrauma beyond ATLS: “Now you’re the surgeon”
- How to lead a ward round
- Handling and writing the evidence
- Phone call skills
- How to get the most from your trainer
TESTIMONY OF PARTICIPANTS
“Faculty were very attentive and willing to teach.”
“It was the most enjoyable course I’ve done.”
“I started a new rotation and had to lead a ward round. ... Instead of feeling stressed I was able to control the distractions using your tips.”
"The simulations felt so real, I could be myself. I didn't have to act."
“Great opportunities to reflect and direct learning.”