Scottish Surgical Boot Camp (formerly Highland Surgical Boot Camp) is an innovative, simulation-rich course for new Core Surgical trainees.
AIMS: to accelerate the acquisition of key technical and non-technical skills at the start of a career in Surgery - skills formerly learned only by apprenticeship, but now better taught - and to provide an induction to a community of professional practice.
- Recommended by the Scottish Core Surgical Training Programmes as the introductory course for CT1
- There will still be places for ST1/CT1 applicants from other surgical programmes, and from other parts of the UK and abroad
The September and October boot camps 2015 were again fully booked and highly successful.
UPCOMING COURSE DATES:
Sat 19th - Tues 22nd March 2016
Sat 10th - Tues 13th September 2016
Sat 29th October - Tues 1st November 2016
LOCATION: Inverness Centre for Health Science (direct flights from London City, Gatwick, Luton, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Belfast, Amsterdam. Sleeper train from London Euston)
Course fee: £600. Scottish CT1s' fees will be paid by NES (not including locum appts).
Fee includes course fee, lunches, course dinner, but excludes travel and accomodation
Optional half day outdoor pursuits £30 extra
- Simulation-rich methods, well-validated.
- Hand-picked, skilled and approachable faculty, experienced in feedback.
- State-of-the-art Skills Centre, experienced actors, porcine tissue models, video feedback.
- Simulated PBA's will appear on your ISCP portfolio.
- Intense programme.
- Highland-retreat feel, including outdoor activities day, maximum 16 to a group.
- Human factors feature throughout, drawing on RCSEd and Aberdeen University’s pioneering work.
- Previous participants have had a paper published with group authorship.
- Non-technical skills for surgeons
- "From basic to intermediate surgical skills": eg bowel anastomosis and plastic skin flaps
- Communication Skills for Surgeons: interpersonal, spoken and written
- How to lead a ward round
- Handling and writing the evidence
- How to get the most from your trainer
TESTIMONY OF PARTICIPANTS
“Experienced staff, beautiful location and facilities, great fun and team spirit, overall fantastic course.”
“It was the most enjoyable course I’ve done.”
“I started a new rotation and had to lead a ward round. ... Instead of feeling stressed I was able to control the distractions using your tips.”
"The simulations felt so real, I could be myself. I didn't have to act."
“The enthusiasm, humour and hard work of faculty was infectious.”
"The bootcamp was excellent. It was well measured in the combination of technical and non-technical skills. ... The anastamosis sessions were excellent - the repetition is not readily available in clinical practice."
"I genuinely feel more capable and comfortable in my job since bootcamp."
TV coverage click here