Scottish Surgical Boot Camp is an innovative, simulation-rich course for new Core Surgical trainees.
Aims: to accelerate the acquisition of key technical and non-technical skills at the start of a career in Surgery - skills formerly learned only by apprenticeship, but now better taught.
- Recommended by the Scottish Core Surgical Training Programmes as the introductory course for CT1
- There will still be places for FY2/ST1/CT1 applicants from other surgical programmes, and from other parts of the UK and abroad
Sat 12th - Tues 15th September 2015
Sat 3rd - Tues 56th October 2015
Location: Inverness Centre for Health Science (direct flights from London City, Gatwick, Luton, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Belfast, Amsterdam. Sleeper train from London Euston)
Course fee: £600*
Fee includes course fee, lunches, 1 course dinner, but excludes travel and accomodation (recommended Premier Inn - see bookings section)
Optional half day outdoor pursuits £30 extra
* STOP PRESS: FOR NEW SCOTTISH CT1s THE COURSE FEE WILL BE PAID BY NES
- Simulation-rich methods, well-validated.
- Hand-picked, skilled and approachable faculty, experienced in feedback.
- State-of-the-art Skills Centre, experienced actors, porcine tissue models, video feedback.
- Simulated PBA's will appear on your ISCP portfolio.
- Intense programme.
- Highland-retreat feel, including outdoor activities day, maximum 16 to a group.
- Human factors feature throughout, drawing on RCSEd and Aberdeen University’s pioneering work.
- Previous participants have had a paper published with group authorship.
- Non-technical skills for surgeons
- "From basic to intermediate surgical skills": eg bowel anastomosis and plastic skin flaps
- Communication Skills for Surgeons: interpersonal, spoken and written
- How to lead a ward round
- Handling and writing the evidence
- How to get the most from your trainer
TESTIMONY OF PARTICIPANTS
“Experienced staff, beautiful location and facilities, great fun and team spirit, overall fantastic course.”
“It was the most enjoyable course I’ve done.”
“I started a new rotation and had to lead a ward round. ... Instead of feeling stressed I was able to control the distractions using your tips.”
"The simulations felt so real, I could be myself. I didn't have to act."
“The enthusiasm, humour and hard work of faculty was infectious.”
"The bootcamp was excellent. It was well measured in the combination of technical and non-technical skills. ... The anastamosis sessions were excellent - the repetition is not readily available in clinical practice."
"I genuinely feel more capable and comfortable in my job since bootcamp."