Scottish Surgical Boot Camp (formerly Highland Surgical Boot Camp) is an innovative, simulation-rich course for new Core Surgical trainees.
AIMS: to accelerate the acquisition of key technical and non-technical skills at the start of a career in Surgery - skills formerly learned only by apprenticeship or experience - and to provide a welcome to, and standard-setting for, a community of professional practice.
- Commissioned by the Scottish Core Surgical Training Programmes as the introductory course for CT1, and included in the Improving Surgical Training pilot project.
- This year the numbers are such that we can no longer offer places to trainees from outwith the Scottish IST pilot.
We are currently planning to run courses in Inverness on the following dates, incorporating social distancing measures. We have arranged safe accomodation options with a local Travelodge and can e-mail details upon registration. If further localised lockdowns prevent attendance, we may arrange a 4th course later.
Sat 21st - Tues 24th August 2021
Sat 11th - Tues 14th September 2021
Sat 23rd - Tues 26th October 2021
LOCATION: Inverness Centre for Health Science
Course fee: £750. Scottish IST trainees' fees will be paid by NES (not including locum appts).
Fee includes course fee, lunches, course dinner, but excludes travel and accomodation. IST trainees can claim travel from the sim buget through Turas but not accomodation.
- Accessible, expert faculty
- Simulation-rich methods, well-validated; experienced staff and actors, state-of-the-art facility
- Technical and non-technical skills, practised in increasingly complex simulations
- WBAs will appear on your ISCP portfolio.
- Intense programme, but Highland-retreat feel, including optional outdoor activities, maximum 16 to a group.
- Non-technical skills for surgeons
- "From basic to intermediate surgical skills": eg bowel anastomosis, skin flaps, vascular
- Laparoscopy skills and how to progress
- Prioritisation skills
- Communication Skills for Surgeons: interpersonal, spoken and written
- How tobetter lead a ward round
- Handling and writing the evidence
- Caring for yourself and your team
- How to get the most from your trainers
TESTIMONY OF PARTICIPANTS
“Experienced staff, beautiful location and facilities, great fun and team spirit, overall fantastic course.”
“It was the most enjoyable course I’ve done.”
“I started a new rotation and had to lead a ward round. ... Instead of feeling stressed I was able to control the distractions using your tips.”
"The simulations felt so real, I could be myself. I didn't have to act."
“The enthusiasm, humour and hard work of faculty was infectious.”
"The bootcamp was excellent. It was well measured in the combination of technical and non-technical skills. ... The anastomosis sessions were excellent - the repetition is not readily available in clinical practice."
"I genuinely feel more capable and comfortable in my job since bootcamp."